Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day to Us

Christian and I have been sleeping on the same mattress/bed frame/box springs that we bought when we were in college. Christian worked at the University Surplus and Salvage (USS) at the University of Utah, and was basically the person who carried the unwanted items out of the university departments. Once he got the items back to the warehouse, they were priced to sell to the public. From this illustrious job we were able to obtain many random yet fairly decent items. One of which was the mattress we've been sleeping on ever since.

The mattress had been left at one of the university apartments, when no one claimed it after a certain waiting period, the USS sold it for $40.00. Oh, did I mention, Christian was also eligible for a 1/2 off discount from the ticketed price. Yes, it cost us $20.00.

Eleven years later, nearly to the date, we decided to make the purchase of our very first bedroom set and new mattress. While we were waiting for the delivery truck, Christian loaded our faithful mattress up and took it downstairs to Cali's room {who feels like a total princess in a giant bed}. We've moved this trusty bed frame at least four times, but never noticed that the price sticker was still on the bottom {pictured above}.
We were like kids on Christmas waiting for the delivery truck. I must now put in a shameless plug from Action Wood in Midvale, Utah. This is the second major purchase we've made from this store {the first being our dining room table and chairs}. Every single time I go in there I find something I love. It's a great little store with a great staff and the ability to order pretty much anything you want. Up next, end tables for my living room and an entryway table too...

One dresser complete with a mirror {it looked much smaller in the show room!}

A couple night stands, and one giant kind sized bed! We are so thrilled to finally have a grown-up bedroom. Now, as for the bedding...Well, I'm working on that. With a bedroom set that I LOVE, I must also find some bedding that I LOVE. I will not settle for less, let's just hope I find what I'm looking for before 2022!

5 comments:

Nikki Jenson said...

Awesome! Its like a Christmas Do-over! Congrats on the new furniture!

Bethany Gilson said...

ah! i love it! So glad Christian can fully extend his legs-very nice! Can't wait to see it all put together!

Liz said...

its beautiful!! we have the same taste in furniture!

Unknown said...

Love it! Can't wait to be grown up one day too! :)

Mike and Jayna Miller said...

I love your bedroom set! it looks so great! congrats!