It's more than obvious that we all have a lot to be thankful for. Even when things are crazy or plans are changed or times get harder than are comfortable, there is always something to be thankful for.
My Grandpa Cook died at the end of October 2006, a month later my grandma was faced with her first holiday as a widow. My grandpa had actually been sick for the five years leading up to his death, so in some ways she'd been alone for years. However, this year she was really physically alone.
Somehow I talked her into letting me and Christian pick her up and drive her to Castle Dale to watch a play that my dad was directing and eat Thanksgiving dinner. She was not easily convinced to leave her house, but she did it, and I am so glad that she did. It's one of my most favorite Thanksgiving memories of all time.
The following year we tried to talk her into doing it again. She declined and told me something that I will never ever forget. She said that she was too tired to travel and although celebrating Thanksgiving is fun and important {and here's the kicker} "Living in America, everyday is Thanksgiving". Think about it. I've been thinking about it for the past few years, and I believe it. I also believe that it's possible to live with that much gratitude in our hearts.
So here are some thankful moments from our Thanksgiving 2011.
Pre-turkey coma naps. This poor child had not even tasted the turkey prior to this serious nap. We let him sleep through dinner, so I was able to eat with two hands!
The real table. Do not mess with Pollastro's and their dinner tables, they are serious!
Wii boxing...
Real boxing!
Loves!




No comments:
Post a Comment