Sunday, June 2, 2013

There's Nothing Like a Trophy


Cali has participated in several dance recitals and dance competitions this year. From these experiences I've learned that; (a) Cali really enjoys dancing and is pretty good at it, (b) I am the worst dance mom in the history of the world. 

The particular dance competition featured in this photo took place in Green River on a Saturday afternoon. The studio gave us the times that our tiny dancers would be competing, and then suggested that we arrive an hour (or two...depending on how the competition was going...) before their scheduled performance time.

Christian was gone to the temple with a group from our ward, so I was determined to make this experience as easy for me as possible. It hasn't taken long to figure out that seven year old boys and three year old boys, don't love dance competitions. I really can't blame them. My plan was to arrive as close to the designated time, assuming that the competition wouldn't be running ahead of schedule, as possible.

We made it to the competition with about 3 minutes to spare, apparently sometimes said competitions do run ahead of scheduled... We stood up on the track overlooking the gym floor and watched their dance number, then watched several other teams as we waited for their second number. Carter was content to zone out on the iPhone, Caleb is a little be trickier to entertain. However, two bags of Doritos and a rope of licorice seemed to do the trick. 

As soon as she was done we high tailed it out of there, so fast in fact, that I had to snap these pictures after we got home. Cali was disappointed that we didn't stay for the "dance party" i.e.hundreds of girls flailing around on the dance floor while waiting the results of the competition. But the participation trophy seemed to soften the blow. 

Later that day, via Facebook, I saw that one of their dances won a major award. I am still confused about the categories and the scoring within the categories, but with all the congratulations flying around on the Facebook, it was apparent that they did pretty well.... Like said, worst dance mom ever.

No comments: