Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Zumba Extravaganza

On October 22, after many months of planning, the Rock Springs Family Recreation Center hosted a huge Zumba event featuring Camilo Jimenez. If you don't know who he is, that's OK, suffice it to say he's a pretty big deal in the Zumba world. He hangs out with Beto {the owner/creator of Zumba} and has been featured at several national events.


How, do you ask, does a Zumba celebrity find his way to Rock Springs? We have a secret Latina connection by the name of Johana. It is my personal opinion that everyone needs a really hot Latina or Latin friend. Johana attened one of his classes in Salt Lake, asked him if he'd come to RS, and the rest was history {a very long history of politics and money and preparation and new audio speakers...but that's a very boring blog post}.


I wrote a radio ad for the event and had the opportunity to go to the radio station and voice the commercial. I learned two things, (1) it's really enjoyable to write something fun and not academic, and (2) my voice sounds ridiculous on the radio. Does anyone like hearing their own voice? Since the ad started with the phrase, "When was the last time you got sweaty with a hot Colombian?" There were a few complaints. But, complaints lead to curiosity and curiosity leads to interest and interest leads to ticket sales. So, I think I did my job. We had over 150 people in attendance.

One of those people was my very own sissy. Yes, she came from SLC to get her Zumba on with Camilo. Well, that and I promsied to load her truck up with baby stuff. Either way, it's always fun to sweat it out with a hot pregnant cutie like this one.

The night was a little stressful. I nearly strangled a hot Colombian when he very chill-like and swaggar-y told me he thought he had to be on stage at 6pm instead of 5pm. The faster I tried to move him, the cooler and chill-er he got. Things worked out, we were able to stall our 150 person crowd with some give aways and give Camilo time to get dressed and do his hair. He made it up to me later by inviting me on stage to dance with him. Correction, he said..."I need three girls on stage with me..." I took that as a personal invitation. Then I wowed him with my moves!



All in all it was worth the stress and effort and work. It was a great opportunity for our small community to do something different, I got a little taste of event planning, and we all went home sweaty and happy.



No comments: