Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Day We Flew the Kites

I was reading an entry on my friend Natalie's blog (http://www.100percentcottam.com/) about the guilt that sets in once you become a mother. You feel guilty if you do too much house work, you feel guilty if your house isn't clean enough. You feel guilty when you don't give your kids enough attention. Throw going to work in the mix, and it's enough to make anyone snap. Finding balance can be challenging. Which reminded me of one of my favorite short stories, The Day We Flew the Kites by Frances Fowler. This is a very uplifting story that doesn't completely solve the guilt problem, but gives some good insight.

http://citizenjohn.com/kites01.htm

3 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

that is a really neat story, thanks for that! that's going in the file! :)

Freer Family said...

Love the story! Thanks!
Ahhh, the guilt. It goes hand in hand with childbirth and grows by the day. It's hard to find balance on the Mommy spectrum. Infact, I'm not sure if it is even reasonable to think that one can. Just do the best you can and hope your best is good enough I guess.

Freer Family said...

I am laughing at your poll because I have a hair appt tomorrow and I was going to email you and ask if I should get my hair cut like VB too? It's such a cute cut! Go for it!