Friday, August 22, 2008

Gym Ass Kicks (aka Gymnastics)


Right before Cali turned three I signed her up for gymnastics. She loved it. I didn't. Carter was just a little boy and was too squirmy to hold, and much too young to take a class himself. Not to mention the staff at the gym (which shall not be named) were not very attentive (in my opinion). Her coach asked her each week, "now, what is your name again?" Which I thought was a little impersonal. I didn't think the staff was very attentive. So, I was torn. Cali loved it. She didn't care that they didn't pay attention to her, but for the money I was paying I expected more. So we stuck it out for a year. We quit when she turned four, and took a year off.

Cali has been asking all year long when she can get back into "gymasskicks", I really wanted to make sure that we had a better experience, so I kind of just put her off. Then several months ago my friend Leisa suggested the gym where she coaches, Bailie's. We finally got Cali signed up and she had her first class yesterday. The girl has never been happier, and neither have I. The staff and coaches were right on, and I noticed a marked difference in their teaching techniques. It was a great experience.

Her favorite thing was the beam and she also enjoyed chalking up her hands. With her recent physical milestones she was right at home on the bars. As for the sweaty shirt. It's not sweat at all, it's spit. For whatever reason Cali thought it was necessary to chew on her shirt while she was waiting for her turn or listening to instructions. When I asked her why she was chewing on her clothes she told me, "my tank top is a little too low, so I was holding it up with my mouth so my boobs didn't hang out." Thank goodness that five year old boobs don't do much hanging!

14 comments:

Tuesdee said...

That is so cute!! You want to know what's sad though... my 16 month old has bigger boobs then me. :) Love how modest she is even at such a young age. Way to go mom. :)

Glad you like the new gym and I can't wait to hear about the training of this next olympic athlete!!!

Bethany Gilson said...

Oh Cali Cali! She is so hilarious! I'm glad she loved gymnastics and i'm glad her nippies didn't show!

Lyon Pride said...

I love the way kids say things. Taylor just broke the habit of chewing on his shirt just as Connor picked it up arghh. At least Cali has a good excuse!

Leisa said...

Cute, cute, cute. I am so happy she loves gymasskicks. I am going to have to get some shirts made up that say "gym-ass-kicks". I love it!

You know they sell leotards at Target for pretty cheap...then you don't have to worry about your boobs falling out.

Family Days said...

Go Cali! Glad she had fun at gymasskicks! She is hilarious...so my boobs didn't hang out...LOL!

Abes and Stace said...

Seriously every time I need a laugh I know I can just pull up your blog and whala!
I always wanted to take "gymasskicks" when I was little. Maybe I'll have to check it out when Brinley gets a little older.

Dorey said...

I need to start some Gym Ass Kicks! lol, You crack me up. =)

Herriman Blue said...

So cute! I haven't been on blogs forever, it was fun to read yours! Sounds like things are going great! I'm going to be taking my daughter to Bailies too, we'll be starting in Sept, maybe I'll see you there sometime! Are you still signed up at Thrive? Miss seeing you!

Kristen

Mindy said...

So cute, I would love to put Mason in tumbling, I know it is not very manley but I am sure he would love it.

I love she is so worried about her boobs, to cute

Aimee said...

I feel Cali's pain. I have the same boob problem with my size A's--they just flop all over! Way to pull her out if you weren't happy. I'd love Brooklynn to take gymnastics someday.

Tami said...

At least she is being conscious of her modesty. Thanks for the laugh!

Tatum said...

The next time I have a wardrobe malfunction, I will remember to bite my clothes. I am so excited for Gym Ass Kicks, what a perfect outlet for the bounciest girl I know! I can't wait for demos and performances. I'm pretty sure she'll be quite generous in providing them. So fun!

Dave and Gretchen said...

Your girl is a crack up! I'm glad the whold boob thing worked out for her.

Freer Family said...

Oh my gosh I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard about the boobs hanging out comment. What a nut! And I thought wingers was my new favorite word but I'm liking gymasskicks too.