Monday, August 11, 2008

Waste Not Want Not


About a month ago I spent some time with my mom cleaning out my grandma and grandpa's house in Fountain Green. Since she and I are the only ones in the family that do a lot of sewing we sat down to divide up her sewing supplies. We had already divided the fabric and the big things, but there were several cabinets and drawers that housed odds and ends sewing things.

My mom was emptying out one of the drawers in the sewing machine when we found the box pictured above. There were dozens of spools of multi colored thread. She had saved all of her thread scraps and wound them onto spools. If she needed a certain color to sew on a button or mend a tear, she would have it.

It was amazing to see the great care she took in not wasting, even a few yards of thread. Not to mention the beauty of all the different colors, and the meaning that it had to me.

8 comments:

Bethany Gilson said...

She was the best! I still miss her everyday.

Aimee said...

I could have taken a lesson from her. All those few yards of thread would have been junk. I need to be better about stuff like that.

Freer Family said...

Cool find. We have been finding so many little "treasures" like that too sorting thru' my grandpa's stuff. I think because our grandparents grew up in times of poverty and not having alot they saved everything and took such good care of their belongings. Your Grandma sounds amazing!

McKelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McKelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McKelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mari said...

I think that thread is a great reflection on her life in many ways: nothing wasted, love and care for everything and everyone and finding beauty everywhere.

Dorey said...

What a sweet find. =)