Monday, November 30, 2009

War and Fuzz

In life, it's easy to misunderstand something that someone says to you. It's pretty common to mis-hear or mis-interpret a phrase or maybe a whole conversation.

Here are two of my new favorite misunderstandings, Cali and Carter style.

Cali:
The other day there was a commercial on TV for one of the many news magazine shows. Their leading story was about price wars. They were doing a whole in-depth story on how business and stores lure consumers into buying things by price matching or by raising prices only to lower them into a false sale. All Cali heard was, "Price War". Where upon she immediately shrieked and looked at me as if she'd seen a ghost. Then she said, "Mom, there's a war...in Price?!"

I explained to her what price war meant. That it didn't mean that there was a war going on in the city of Price Utah where her grandparents live. How interesting...that upon hearing the word "war" she expected it to mean war in the very literal sense. I guess that's what happens when you are born into a world where there has always been war. Even more interesting, that someone so young can pick up on something so old.


Carter:
Caleb tends to get a little fussy at nights. I forgot about that aspect of having a newborn...Carter doesn't like it AT ALL, and tells me to, "Make Caleb happy!" I try, but at times he just likes to fuss. I tried to explain to Carter that sometimes, even when they are fed, and dry, and seemingly happy...babies like to fuss. He seemed pretty content with that answer.

The next time Caleb started to fuss Carter immediately said...."OH NO mom, he's getting fuzzy again!" or "No! He's fuzzing again!" I tried to pronounce the difference between the word fuss and the word fuzz...But he can't hear it, or chooses not to. So now, from time to time, we have a fuzzy baby. I kind of like the word, I think it will stick!

4 comments:

Jake and Roz said...

great, a fuzzy baby named piggy honk :) but really, who wouldn't get a little "fuzzy" having no way to communicate?

Bethany Gilson said...

He is pretty fuzzy with all his hair!

McKelle said...

I love it! Hope you're getting some sleep!


Just caught up on your blog, you make me laugh so hard...thank you!!

Jade said...

such cute kids, they're getting so big. i can't wait to meet the fuzzy baby:)