Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Preschool Graduate

Last week Carter graduated from preschool, he is officially ready for Kindergarten! Carter loved everything about preschool; the friends, the crafts, the snacks, the learning, and getting be a "helper" in his class. He was my baby for so long, it seems a little strange that he should be this old. I really don't know what I'm going to do without him next year. Who will help me? Who will entertain me? More importantly, who will entertain Caleb?

When I asked him if he could please, please, please stay home with me just one more year, he replied, "Mom, I would not be pleased if you made me stay home from Kindergarten." Then I knew, if you can use the word "pleased" correctly in a sentence, you should go to Kindergarten. I also knew that some times our kids grow faster than we do.


Here's Carter waiting for the program to start. This is one of the only non-blurry shots I got of him. I found out very early on in their program that I should have found a babysitter for Caleb. He did not like holding still or being quiet and dashed on to the stage numerous times to sit by Carter. I can see this transition is going to be hard for both of us...me and Caleb.

Carter loved performing his preschool songs. He stood up tall and spoke into the microphone on his part. He informed the audience that he wanted to be superhero when he grows up. He's already one to us!



After we got home I tried to get a few more shot of us together, but this is the best we could do. Good enough!


I wanted a cute one of him in his graduation cap, but he stuffed 1/2 of a Cowboy donut in his mouth right before the picture. A big boy on his big day with his favorite food stuffed in his mouth, I want to remember him this way! I started to tear up a little at the end of the program, but I couldn't really pin-point a reason for the tears. I couldn't tell if I was happy, sad, proud, nostalgic, or stressed out by Caleb's antics. I have also learned as a mother that sometimes the tears well up in unexpected places, for unexpected reasons.


Finally, what can I say about his most fabulous teacher. Miss Emily {or as I call her, Emily} has been not only a great teacher to Carter but a great friend to me. I know she is going to kill me when she reads this, because she would in no way want any attention drawn to her. She does great things for little people and is a champion for all the children she teaches. Carter will not find a teacher in all the world as patient with him as she has been.

She helped me be more attentive to Carter's school work when she found a moldy kiwi in his backpack from St. Patrick's Day, in April. She helped Carter channel his talent as a leader into a more positive direction when he taught several kids in his class the word "douche bag" and encouraged that they chant it with him. She helped him learn social skills, found positive ways to expend his energy, and loved him everyday. We love her too and will miss her next year. She's going to need a Pollastro break for a few years, but there's still Caleb!

3 comments:

Bethany Gilson said...

That post brought tears to my eyes. Love this little fella and the big boy he has become!
Emily you rock! Carter talks about you all the time! Love seeing teachers who are passionate about what they do!

DisabilityDiva said...

hooray for Carter and fabulous teachers that make all the difference!!

Jake and Roz said...

douche bag... wonder where he heard that? :)