Wednesday, July 4, 2012

First 5K of the Season

I suffered a pretty ridiculous leg injury in the middle of April. It started in my hip flexor, affected my sciatic nerve, and settled in arch of my foot. I don't know if it started in my foot and I pulled my hip, or if my hip pulled my foot? I guess we'll never know.

What I do know is that I took some prednisone, which helped the inflammation, but led to a series of illnesses including a crazy cough and shingles...which all culminated at a critical point in my academic career i.e. my project defense and graduation. Phewww. I made it.

Needless to say it's taken a while to get my running back up to speed (ha ha...speed). There was a period of walking which finally led to running again, and then back to racing. It's been a weird spring to say the least. I talked my friend Jessy into running with me (it was her first 5K and she did awesome) and we had a really fun time.

It wasn't my fastest time, but I felt grateful that I could do it with minimal pain. Getting older is lame!

1 comment:

Mike and Jayna Miller said...

Way to go! Glad to hear it's doing better!