Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Big 50

Happy Birthday Dad! You finally made it to the big 5-0!

My dad decided that for his birthday he wants us all to climb Wheeler Peak. I have never done it, but everyone else in my family has. So on July 15th we are all going to do it! Well, probably not Cali and Carter... but grandma Gwennie has graciously volunteered to watch them at the our base camp. I am really excited. This will be an awesome experience for us to share as a family. As well as a great physical challenge. Wheeler Peak is the second highest peak in Nevada the elevation is just over 13,000 feet!

8 comments:

Mari said...

Oh man, good luck! It's pretty killer but you're going at a great time of year and there will probably be enough snow left down the side of the glacier that you can slide down it (that saves hours on the dissent). I've climbed it 3 times but will probably NEVER do it again. How fun for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Mari why not go for #4! I'm sure you would love to see me pee my pants a few more times in your life! Anyway, Dad you are the best! I love you, may all your b-day dreams come true!

100 Percent Cottam said...

man alive, your dad is YOUNG! yay for him! 50 is a milestone.

Jan said...

Wow -- this could be quite a climb! You'll have to let us know how it goes.

Freer Family said...

What a fun bday activity and Happy Birthday to your dad!

Tami said...

Yeah, that will be a great memory making family outing! You are in shape to do it girl! More than you think!

Mari said...

Bethany, I will be your camp cook. You can call me Hobbi. Just think, when you get off the mountain you'll have an awesome tinfoil dinner waiting for you. I'm just too lumpy to make it up there again :(

Joye said...

This is a great hike, all 8 hours of it! The view from the top is amazing! Just pray for no wind. The last time my family went up (in June 2007) they about got blown off the mountain. And before we left the next morning it snowed 4 inches on us. Not our best Wheeler Peak outing, but a memorable one.