On Thursday Cali participated in the first annual school walk-a-thon, and thankfully, the only fundraiser for the year. Family and friends could pledge by the lap, or just give a flat pledge. Knowing the longevity of this girl's legs I wisely made a flat pledge. My intuition was right. She walked 22 laps, which is just shy of four miles (24 laps was the four mile mark).
Since the parents were invited to walk with their children I thought that Carter and I should make a day of it. We showed up at the appointed time, with our walking shoes on. Carter made it about two laps before he went into complete melt-down mode. Oh, backing up a bit, I nearly lost him, my camera, and my cell phone before the festivities even began. So, we walked two laps then he freaked, then he saw the play ground, then he ran away. I spent most of the afternoon watching Cali walk as I watched Carter play on the playground.
At about lap 12 Cali started complaining that her shoes were hurting her feet. She was wearing her Nike Shox, but apparently they are getting a little too small. Instead of quitting, she asked if I would go home and find her a new pair of shoes so she could keep walking. I rounded up Carter, ran home, and returned with her favorite Cali Gear shoes. She slapped them on and was good for another 10 laps.
Still truckin' along, after the shoe switch.
While at home, I also took the opportunity to grab Carter's stroller and Yankee Blankee. Carter has to be really very very tired to be seduced into sitting in a stroller.
All in all it was a pretty long day. The pizza party afterward was it's own fiasco, but I don't have the patience or nervous system to reenact it.
10 comments:
Yay for Cali (and for you too!) -- for hanging in there and doing the shoe change. I love that she was so committed to the event.
Go Cali! A girl after my own heart. She is a real go getter. Cammie, if she can walk 4 miles, just think of the damage she can do walking around herriman halloween night! Get some candy girl!
Way to go Cali! I think 4 miles is a lot of walking for a little girl. It's a lot of walking for me!
man, i can't believe she made it THAT far! maya would have bailed after 5 minutes.
Holy cow Cali! Woo hoo, that's awesome! 22 laps is pretty insane! Did you get any laps in post-stroller? How long did Carter last the second time around? I think for FHE you should all color awards and certificates for each other for your great accomplishments.
You are hilarious. How much Moola did she make? Go get'em Cali! I didn't know that that our Mascot was the bobcat, I was a bobcat in Elementary School too! I think I can still remember the corny song. cool. lol
That is FANTASTIC!!! 22 laps:) What dedication! I love that she even kept walking even after her feet were hurting...what a trouper...hopefully she only uses that strong will for good...else you will be in big trouble come teenage years! :)
Cammie, thank you.
Your wild meowzers sometimes make life at my house seem mellow!
Love the energy--22 laps--that girl has grit!
I can't believe they walked that much! That really is amazing for 5 year olds. Those poor people that sponsored by the lap. LOL!
Great Job! Impressed. Melt downs...love em! arrgh!
Post a Comment