Thursday, January 15, 2009

Potty Training...The Saga Continues

As many of you know I've been trying to potty train this sweet little meowzers since October 2008. I tried to read, "How to Potty Train Your Child in One Day" but it took longer than a day to read, which I thought really defeated the purpose. We've had good days and bad days, days filled with "accidents" and days filled with hope. However, the 100% potty trained status has eluded us. By the time Cali was is his age she was not only potty trained, but could change his diaper too. So, I've learned that I can't compare the two.

This past weekend we took a trip to Castle Dale and Price by way of Salt Lake. We were a few minutes from Park City when Carter started to cry. He needed to go potty. Christian pulled over and threw the ice out of his McDonalds cup while I coaxed Carter into peeing in a cup. He refused to pee standing up {this may be a problem later in life} Finally the pressure was too much for his strong will and he released an Austin Power's style pee stream into the cup. Followed by much rejoicing and praising and celebrating!

We pulled into the outlet malls at Park City. Christian wanted to run in the adidas outlet for some new gym shoes. No sooner had we parked the car than Carter filled his pants with poop. So I took him and Cali to the freezing outdoor bathroom at the outlet malls. After 100 paper towels and a lot of tears we were sufficiently cleaned up. I threw the underpants away, and considered throwing his jeans away too. Thankfully we had packed extra clothes for the weekend, so I just thought I'd wash the jeans at my mom's house the next day.

Fast forward one hour. We met Bethany and Tyler at Costco in Murray to stock up on some essentials and get our RX's filled. Bethany was walking Carter around the store when he announced that he, "had to go potty!" Bethany ran him as fast as her little legs could take her to the front of the store and into the bathroom. No luck. He filled his pants with poop as they entered the bathroom stall.

After a $30.00 box of Pullups, a $20.00 box of wipes and another pair of underpants in the trash {sorry Lightening McQueen you didn't do anything to deserve this} we were again sufficiently clean. However, this pair of jeans {the second in two hours} was significantly more soiled than the previous pair. Like the true sister and friend she is, Bethany offered to take them home and wash them for me. She and Tyler rode home with Carter's poo pants so that we wouldn't have to. That's love.

So where does that leave us? Christian told Carter that if he doesn't poop his pants again...ever, we can go to Disneyland. I laughed at the bribe, but for some reason it is working. Each time he uses the potty he announces, "Now let's go to Disneyland!" I think he needs to prove himself for more than a week, but maybe Disneyland was just the incentive this meowzer needed.

Then yesterday he said to me, "Mom when I grow up and you turn back into a kid, I'll wipe your butt for you." Thanks Carter!

12 comments:

Rob and Marci Peacock said...

You seriously need to write a book! Oh the joys of potty training! That sounds like just a typical day on the road with the Peacock family so any time you want to join us for a vacation, let me know! We could certainly commiserate with you! Good luck with that...hopefully the Disney bribe works.

Abes and Stace said...

So funny!
Potty trainging has got to be the very worst part of parenthood thus far. It took me about 8 months to potty train Domenick. I really need to train Brinley but I just know my life will suddenly be just like your story. Can't we just skip this part? Or is there a "boarding school" we can just ship them to for a few weeks where they can go and get fully potty trained?

Jake and Roz said...

I've always heard boys are more difficult than girls to potty train - so I'm not looking forward to Cade, especially since he's so stubborn already! I've gotta figure out a way to make that work to my advantage... I know bribes worked wonders on my potty training, so maybe we'll go that route too. Cade had a blowout in the car this morning, and I was SO wishing I could potty train him already!

Jan said...

I think Natalie could commiserate with you -- she's sort of started working with Mason (not seriously yet) -- and I suspect she will have similar stories to tell.

Potty-training is so hard for everyone.

100 Percent Cottam said...

that is seriously hilarious. i'm laughing out loud, in fact, especially about him wiping your butt. ah, potty training. gotta hate it.

Bethany Gilson said...

Oh Carter Michael! What a funny young meowzer. You forgot to tell the tale of me carrying Carter out of Costco with his coat wrapped around his naked legs.

Cambu said...

Hilarious! Though I don't think the experience was all that funny to you at the time, your re-telling of it had me doubled over in laughter. You should write a book...at least least keep these memories for when Carter is older. ;)

Jinger said...

This was hilarious! I had so much fun reading this post. The last line is the very best. Well I'm glad it's working so far! By the way, thanks for the banana bread... oh my goodness it was delicious! I loved the choc chips in it! You're quite the cook!

Jade said...

ah.....potty training...I love it.(NOT!) I'm with Stacey, it's the worst part of parenting to this point. I'm just not going to potty train Parker. I don't care if he never goes. If he gets old enough, he'll be able to train himself. I'm glad Carter plans on taking such great care of you. Funny boy.

Tatum said...

First of all, props to Bethany for being the brave aunt that ran as fast as her little legs could carry her and for dealing with the whole poop issue so bravely...That is a good aunt.

Second, I send my condolences to you Cam and to Lightning McQueen. What a fiasco. But it makes good material for the blog, I love Carter stories.

Third, if Christian is rewarding trained pottyers with Disney Land trips, please tell him, I have been diaper-free for years- decades even.

Hang in there!

Mari said...

When you turn into a kid again and Carter says he'll wipe your butt I wonder what he'll bribe you with. This is going to be funny!
Poor kid, sounds like he had the runs, you know, you just can't help it when those juices start flowing.

Dorey said...

You are hilarious! Potty training is not fun, I thought I had Dorin pretty well trained until I caught him sneaking into the backyard to take a dump haha. Boys!=) Hope things are going well! TTYL