Wednesday, July 8, 2009

An Early Morning Hike

Last Thursday morning we got up early and headed to the desert for a hike. We were trying to beat the heat, and were so lucky that the overcast weather cooperated.

My dad took us to a little canyon on the back side of Big Cedar Mountain. We hiked up and through the conglomerate rock formations where we saw a prehistoric crocodile skeleton. From there the canyon got very wet, which is uncommon for this type of desert. There is a small water seep in the rocks out of which tropical ferns grow. This certain type of fern has not been found anywhere else in Utah. so we were feeling pretty special!

We continued on and saw some petrified dinosaur bones and an old Indian cave. The hike wasn't long or steep and was just the right amount of walking and rock scaling for a 5 and 3 year old. My dad and I had to lift them over a few places, but for the most part they made it on their own.

Since it is so wet in there we found pools of standing water filled with tiny tadpoles swimming around. If we would've had a jar I may have been tempted to bring a few home for Grandma Gwennie. However, I think that would just give her horrible flashbacks of when I raised tadpoles into frogs and then had to release them into the Cottonwood Creek...That's a obviously a whole different story.

It was a great morning, and fun to be out on the desert!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

McKelle said...

That's awesome. I need to know where that's at so I can take my fam there someday!! You look great by the way!

Mari said...

What a cool hike! Even better since it wasn't too hot. Fun pictures!

Dory said...

I don't think it's really a crocodile, I think it's a tree. But it's more fun to tell the kids that it's a crocodile. And the dinosaur fossil is real.