Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Flexibility...Not the Yoga Kind

Last week Cali pulled a pretty awesome stunt. One of her classmates was selling candy bars as part of a school fundraiser. On the bus on the way home the little girl asked Cali if she wanted to buy one. Duh...what six year old doesn't want to buy candy bars? So, of course, Cali said yes. But when she realized she didn't have any money she suggested that they both get off at our house because, "my mom will give you money."

There were only a few problems with this scenario: (1) I had never seen this girl in my life, but not to worry...Cali knew her! (2) The girl's mother had no idea where she was. (3) The little girl did not know her phone number. (4) The little girl only knew part of her address. (5)The little girl's parents had different last names, and neither of them matched her name.

So, instead of sending her on her way to sell candy bars all the way home, I called the school. They couldn't give me her phone number, so I gave them mine...to give to the girl's mother. A few minutes later her mother called. After assuring the scared mother that her child was OK she told me that she didn't have a car or a way to pick her up, her husband was on his way to work. She gave me her address.

I let the girls eat a snack, bought $5.00 worth of candy bars, loaded up all the kids and took her home. It was a strange afternoon to say the least. It totally threw me off my schedule. I was in the process of prepping for dinner when this all happened, so when I returned from running her home I was in a hurry to finish what I started. In the process I cut my finger open and immediately stuck it in my mouth...raw chicken guts and all...It was so gross and suck a knee jerk reaction to being cut.

I called my mom to tell her about my shredded day and the adventures of the random candy bar kid, she listened to my rant and then said, "Wow...you aren't very flexible are you?" I tried to respond by saying that I was flexible and it was everyone else's fault that my day went to hell, but then I realized...I'm not flexible. That one glitch threw me into a tailspin...Which means that I have to try to be more flexible or try not to cram so much into one day. What do you think? Are you flexible?

5 comments:

Jake and Roz said...

um, between school, a newborn, one kid in preschool and another in real school, making dinner, taking care of the house, trying to work out, and doing everything else required of you, I'm amazed that you're even able to shower each day - much less be flexible when someone else's child wanders randomly into your house one afternoon. Don't worry, you're doing great!

Bethany Gilson said...

No I am a hard core bi-atch with my schedule most days! Also, you forgot to add your elementary experience to the mix! Love you!

Unknown said...

I would say that some days I am and some days not so much. It depends on what I HAVE to get done. I'm sure you will get there. :) You are good to do all that though!

Jan said...

I'm with you -- maybe not so flexible!! Good for you for hanging in there.

100 Percent Cottam said...

i am NOT flexible, i would have murdered maya for inconveniencing me so, and i would have vomited straight away if i had put raw chicken guts hands into my mouth. sounds like you handled it all better than i would have.