Monday, August 2, 2010

Fort Bridger

Here we are visiting historic Fort Bridger, WY. We stopped along our journey to SLC on July 23rd to pay homage to Jim Bridger. To be a true Wyoming-ite you have to know the story of Fort Bridger. So, as far as I can gather, he was a trader/trapper who made a large fortune selling animal skins from Wyo back east. He established a Fort where he traded his goods. Later the fort became a stopping place for pioneers, settlers, and military. Later Brigham Young bought the fort for $8000.00, and then burned it to the ground. Apparently, when Johnson's army was coming to Utah to further persecute the Mormons, Young ordered it to be burned so that the army wouldn't have a place to regroup. {I need a real Wyoming native to verify those facts!}

It was a fun place to visit, full of history and cute little shops. Mom and dad bought Cali a beautiful bracelet, which I have borrowed several times, and Carter got a wooden sword. We have since named the sword, "Jim Bridger". And I have been know to scream..."damn you Jim Bridger". For obvious reasons.

This is Cali standing in front of the first school house in Wyoming.
And here's Carter holding Jim Bridger's leg bone. Kidding....just some old cow bones.

1 comment:

Bethany Gilson said...

I need to stop there sometime on my way through!