Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pee Wee Wrestling Tournament

Everything Caleb does, he does with a lot of intensity. After weeks of practice, he finally participated in his first wrestling tournament. He was nervous, but soon abandon the nervous feeling for his usual intense confidence. I, on the other hand, was nervous for him the whole time. Plus, I was nervous for myself as I'd never found myself among the wrestling crowd before in my life. It was intense for everyone.

Every kid got to wrestle three times. Caleb took second in his age and weight category. The one match he lost, he lost by points. He was never pinned. He was confused about why no one held up his arm and declared him the victor. Then there were some tears, and finally he accepted a solid second place.

I have no idea what to do or what to yell at a wrestling match. However, a friend of mine taught me some phrases like, sweep the arm, go for the legs and roll over. Armed with amateur bits of encouragement I tried to cheer and coach him to victory.

After his success in Pee Wee Wrestling he decided to stay on for the full Top of the Rock season. That gets it's own blog post in the near future.




No comments: