Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Blast From the Past


Several year ago (pre children years) Christian and I realized that we both loved the musical My Turn on Earth. We both had the tape and story book when we were young. My family even took it to the next level by having the sheet music, and my dad even directed the play in our town in the early '80's.


So the other day Christian took Cali on an adventure to get the car serviced. While they were waiting they decided to walk (about 3 miles) to Deseret Book. Christian asked one of the employees if they had the My Turn on Earth soundtrack, sure enough. The helpful employee also told him that is one of the last ones because the creators are going to remake it and release it on DVD.


I haven't listened to these songs for probably at least 15 years, but when Cali started playing the CD I remembered every word to every song. What I didn't remember is how "80's" the songs sound. Complete with random synthesizers and all.


Did any of you have this tape growing up, or have seen the play?

12 comments:

Mari said...

It's coming out remade on DVD, the church must be true! I can't believe Christian likes it. I picture him more as rolling his eyes at it :) We had the tape, songbook and two-set, double jacket record! Yes, I'm talking real vinyl here! I would listen to the angel song to go to sleep to. I also remember acting out the parts (something I can picture Cali doing soon). You gotta love 80's church contemporary music!

Bethany Gilson said...

Like Duh!!! What good 80's Mormon child didn't! JK. Next up-Saturday's Warrior!

Tatum said...

I missed out on this one in my youth...I guess I was Willy Water Bugging while the rest of the world was enjoying it? How fun to pass on one of your favorites to Cali and have all of the memories come flooding back. Childhood is simply rad. You've spiked my curiosity, maybe I can borrow Cali's CD.

Tatum said...

I missed out on this one in my youth...I guess I was Willy Water Bugging while the rest of the world was enjoying it? How fun to pass on one of your favorites to Cali and have all of the memories come flooding back. Childhood is simply rad. You've spiked my curiosity, maybe I can borrow Cali's CD.

Dorey said...

I don't think I've heard this, is it kinda like "Mormon Rap" haha. =)

Jan said...

I just read that it's going to be out again -- I loved it. We had it going in our house all the time. I think I wore out that old long-play record!

100 Percent Cottam said...

you are not alone, my dear. i listened to this record over and over and over. i can't wait for the new remastered version coming out. it will be mine!

Freer Family said...

We didn't have the tape, we had the record!

"The Golden Rule is a terrific tool, it'll help you decide what to do. And did you know..."

"Shout, shout we'll shout for joy, we are free to choose what we will be..."

"Oh everybody ought to have a body, a body is the only way to go..."

Freer Family said...

Uh-oh I think these songs are going to be stuck in my head for days, lol!

Dave and Gretchen said...

"It ends with death, it begins with birth, and it's my turn, it's my turn, it's my turn on earth!"

WHEN IS THE DVD RELEASE??? I really can't wait!

Words to ponder:
"If the cat were you and you were the cat, would you like that to be smashed flat, flat as a mat, by a great big cat? The Golden Rule says NO!"

Family Days said...

We totally had this tape. We would listen to it in the car on our trips to Utah every summer, in between our car over heating/breaking down. Ahhh the memories!

Lyndee said...

I was a little worried when I first saw the title of the play, because all I could read was "My turn on." Thankfully you kept it G rated.