Back in the late '90's my ex-step-grandpa {that's not weird at all} was helping my dad with a little yard work by hauling a few loads of garbage to the city dump. This kindly gentleman was quite hard of hearing...actually borderline deaf. My dad asked if I would ride with ex-step-grandpa to the dump to assist with the unloading of the garbage. When we arrived at the dump, the city official in charge {aka the dump tender} greeted us with a cheerful, "Hello. How are you today?" To which ex-step-grandpa replied, nay, shouted, "Mostly Wood!"I am sure he thought the dump tender was asking what we had in our truck, to which, "Mostly Wood!" would've been the appropriate response. However, nearly a decade later I'm still laughing about it. I can NEVER see a pile of wood, or sticks, or lumber, where I don't use the phrase, "Mostly Wood!" It has become a family favorite. So, yesterday when Home Depot dropped off the lumber for our basement I knew the phrase would be used and over-used.
Anyway, while I was trying to be a good wife/burn off a few extra calories, I decided to start hauling mostly wood into our house and down to the basement. I could only take them two-by-two and I allotted myself one hour. It was a nice day so I let the kids come in and out and play around while I was working.
During that time Carter did this...



12 comments:
I am seriously so jelious that you guys are working on your basement. I wish out house in payson wasnt being such a pain so we could do it to. If you need any help, me and jason would love to lend a helping hand.. Just let us know. my cell number is 801-367-2022
I was trying to figure out which one of Christian's Grandmas had remarried when I realized who you were talking about. I had forgotten this story but remember it now very well. You thought that was the funniest thing ever! And at the dump they usually do ask what you're dumping that day. Still, it wasn't his first (or last) not-very-bright-remark. It's going to be awesome to have more of your basement finished! But then where will the kids ride their scooters in the winter?
Sometimes in life when a problem comes along you must whip it. I love the mostly wood story-it never gets old. I like Carters paw print and Cali on the counter, what a bunch of hilarity!
Are you mostly crazy? Are you really finishing the basement already?! If it were me that had just moved in to a new house a month ago...I would still be living out of boxes and using that as an exucse to order take out every night. You are so efficient, I am impressed.
So did you keep a straight face during the mostly wood incident? That is fabulous.
Hilarious story! And...awesome you are starting the process on your basement! And...I'm impressed with you hauling that in and down to the basement!
nice stackin'!
I love reading your blog....thanks for giving me your address!
You are super woman....I'm so impressed by your heavy lifting. Can't wait to see your basement progress!
It cracks me up how a phrase like that becomes a family catch-phrase/cult favorite thing to say. We have ours too -- makes me smile.
And you are nuts to haul all that into the house.
This is great! And I love what a good wife you are to haul mostly wood into your house by yourself. I most definitely would have left it for my husband. ;)
Way to make yourself useful....:)
How fun! We're gonna get started on finishing our basement pretty soon, too, so I'll be right there with you!
wow! I can't believe you're already getting started on the basement! You're go-getters! and such a nice wife!
Post a Comment