Friday, May 22, 2009

Flashback Friday: Memorial Day Edition

Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial kickoff to summer, the first really great excuse each year to get out and do something fun! However, it's also a time to remember those who have gone before us. As a child I spent many Memorial Day's visiting graves around Carbon and Emery County, placing flowers on graves, and even pulling weeds and raking dirt around graves in obscure cemeteries {apparently I have distant relatives buried in Molen Utah}

We also spent the weekend pick nicking at the park in Fountain Green and walking through the beautiful old cemetery overlooking my grandpa's farm. Last year we were in Fountain Green for Memorial Day {see family picture on the side bar...it was taken then}. To place flowers on the graves of the people who taught me how to place flowers on graves. It made the word "Memorial" seem so much more.

Due to distance, time, and home improvement projects; we are staying home this year. However, that doesn't mean I can't remember those ancestors who have passed on. In fact, for the ones I've known in my lifetime, I prefer to remember them as they were. The height of my memorial glory. Which is why I picked this picture of my Grandpa Cook giving my Grandma Cook bunny ears at a wedding reception. The picture is so typical and so "them". My grandma, intently, sincerely, and lovingly listening to a friend or neighbor. My grandpa, sees a camera and can't pass up an opportunity to pose. My dad took this picture at my cousin Doug's wedding reception in December 1999, talk about memorial!

4 comments:

Dory said...

Haha, I remember that.

Bethany Gilson said...

weren't they the best! That is a great tribute Cam!

Mari said...

What a great picture! I've never seen this pic before but I really like it. Grandma and Grandpa Cook are the coolest, seeing pictures of them always makes me smile.

Lyndsay said...

I love that someone captured this moment in time! While I didn't know your grandparents, this gives me some major insight into who they must have been. I'm not surprised by any of it, knowing you and your fam.