Monday, February 25, 2008

Just Another Day in the Life of Cali


Yesterday I went to pick Cali up from her primary class, when I got there she was still coloring her picture so I had a chance to talk to her teacher. Her teacher said to me, "I didn't realize that Cali was in kindergarten, I think she's the oldest one in the class today." I informed the teacher that Cali isn't in kindergarten, she's only four but will be five in July....so we've been talking about getting ready for kindergarten. The teacher looked at my with a puzzled look, and Cali looked at me with a "busted!" look.


I put her in the car and tried my best to explain that it's not a good idea to lie to your primary teacher. I said things like, "Cali, you're not in kindergarten. Why did you tell your teacher that you were?" and "Cali if you want talk about kindergarten you should tell people that you WILL be in kindergarten this year." and several other alternatives.


She looked me right in eye and said, "I didn't tell my teacher that I was in kindergarten, I told her that I was in school......so forgive me if I didn't put the preeesk in front of it."


Honestly? Where does she come up with this stuff. She really is in pre school, that's not a lie.


So, here's my observation of the situation:
1. Lying is a natural part of development. Most kids go through a lying phase. In fact, my sister Jayna once told my mom that she'd been to the circus during Joy School. So, I get the lying thing. But to lie by omission, and possibly on purpose...I think this is a whole new level of deception.
2. I am basically screwed! Plain and simple. If this is what I'm dealing with at age four, can you imagine the conversations we'll be having at 14? I shudder at the very thought.

13 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I'm sorry, but as a mom you HAVE to take credit for that kind of wit:

"I didn't tell my teacher that I was in kindergarten, I told her that I was in school......so forgive me if I didn't put the preeesk in front of it."

I love it. Verrry convincing argument.

Aimee said...

Lyndsay's a lawyer, and if she thought it was a convincing argument I think all Cali needs to do is take the bar.
Thanks for the laugh today, what a cute girl.

Mari said...

Pool all your resources in friends, family, internet and possibly undercover work at a jr. high. You're going to need all of them to stay on top of her tricks.

Leisa said...

That was cute! You have to admit. That girls' new name is "Sassy Chick". That is what we call Anabelle.

Tuesdee said...

CAMMIE!!! How the heck are you? I found your blog while blog surfing. Can I just tell you your kids are SOO CUTE!

Jenny said...

It intimidates me a little that lying starts so young. Kate told a few lies the other day too. Cute story!

Tuesdee said...

ok to fill you in on the story, I found your blog threw Nacolynn's. She left a comment on mine. How she found it. ???
Also, you are more then welcome to stalk mine at anytime!! Hope I can do the same with yours. :)

Ashley said...

LOL!! I love it!
Kids will be kids and they are much smarter too! I have no words of advice, I am right there with you. Mine is almost 5 going on 20 or something like that. You should see the sassy behavior.

Dave and Gretchen said...

So funny! She's definitely clever! She's all ready for school now with those word attack skills. Way to chunk it up. :)

Freer Family said...

Preesk! LMBO! That is funny! But yes, you definitely have your hands full with that girl!

regibells said...

She is just a smarty pants is all!

Tatum said...

I tried to retell Cali's story in joke form to Kelly and I destroyed it. Still its one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time.

BTW she did not get her quick witt from a stranger. You crack me up on a daily basis. She sounds just like you, which makes it even funnier.

Great story!

Tami said...

She is good with words just as her mother is. You guys crack me up. I am quite boring in comparison to you.