Brandt and I were still feeling pretty good at the 3 mile mark. Just before we caught up to dad and Christian.
This was the terrain. Nearly two miles of hiking on this stuff. It was a little hard on the ankles.
This is the view from one of the hardest parts of the climb. At this point the top of the mountain is out of sight, there is another rise (even steeper) after you get to the top of this one.
Christian and I at Greg Mayer's Point. This point in the hike was named after a scout who refused to go an farther and sat down on that little patch of grass. We stopped here for a little rest and snack break.
The camel back was very necessary.
Still resting at Mayer's point. Getting geared up for a very tough climb.
My first view of the top. That little cross is the summit.
My dad was amazing. After mile 3 his legs started to cramp. He drank some water, took some potassium pills and made it his best Wheeler Peak climb ever. This time up the mountain was his 12th time, and was in celebration of his 50th birthday. He is my hero, and inspiration!








4 comments:
I like how you captured the steepness, the NEVER-ENDING STEEPNESS in these pictures! It's a wretched climb but it sure feels good when you get to the top.
Way to go Neal!
I remember climbing this with Neal one time. He kept saying that it was nice of us to stay back with him, but really I was struggling as much as he was. The whole thing is a great experience!!
That looks freaking scary as he double hockey sticks. You guys rock! I don't think I could have done that at all!
Post a Comment