Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Have You Seen This Movie?

A couple weeks ago we rented Coraline. Cali and Carter had seen parts of it at the Rec Center, but had never seen the whole thing. So, when it became available at the local Red Box, we snatched it up. One Thursday night I turned it on after dinner and got ready to teach my class at the Rec Center. Christian came home from work, and I left. When I got back he said to me, "Have you seen this movie?" I told him that I hadn't, but that the kids wanted to watch it. He shook his head and told me that it was "a little too strange".

The next day we went to Utah, and the kids wanted to bring it to watch in the car. I agreed. They watched it another couple times between Rock Springs, SLC, Manti, back to SLC and finally home to Rock Springs. So, technically I still hadn't seen the movie, but I had heard it several times.

It was the following Monday that Bethany paid us a fun little visit, and after running around all morning we decided to sit down and actually watch the movie from start to finish. I kept asking Cali questions about it {remember, I'd only heard the dialog while driving}, and she told me that she couldn't explain how certain things happened...they just did.

So, we watched...I really like Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, so I new it was going to be creepy. Plus, I had seen a few scenes here and there. However, I was not ready for the truly terrifying intricacies of the plot. Bethany may or may not have had nightmares. I guess my kids were just too young to realize that this movie is really scary.

Have you seen this movie? What did you think?

12 comments:

Anne said...

I loved it, but under no circumstances would I let my kids see it. It really was so scary/creepy. When I saw it in the theatre, there was a 9(ish) year old girl sitting next to her dad, but by the end of the movie she was fully in his lap.

Jake and Roz said...

I've seen it, and it is nowhere near as creepy as the book is (I'll have to let you borrow it). Hunter and I both read the book before seeing it, so maybe that's why I didn't think the movie was that bad. Maybe it's just because I love scary books and movies, but I thought this was just the type of scary kids should be exposed to - kinda like the old Disney movies where the witches were pretty terrifying and horrible things happened to good people (but it all ended up fine in the end, of course). The only thing about Coraline that I thought was "inappropriate" was the basically naked lady (in the circus act) about halfway through. Animation or not, that was pushing it... Otherwise, good, creepy movie/book - we liked it!

Lyndsay said...

I just read the movie spoiler and got freaked out....http://themoviespoiler.com/Spoilers/coraline.html. Why would they sell this as a kids movie??

Jade said...

I haven't seen it, but I've been warned about it before. So I won't let my kids see it, and since I hate scary movies, I'm sure I probably won't see it either. But hey, someones kids have to see it so they can warn the rest of us, so thanks! J/K

Bethany Gilson said...

It was very disturbing and might I add a famous Cali/Carter line "don't even think about it Coraline Jone!"

Rebecca said...

I did not like this movie! We took our four kids to see it not really knowing anything about it. I wished we had researched it before we went! I was very offended by the naked women scene! I made Nate and my boys close their eyes during that part! It was really scary and creepy and tried to have a moral, but I will never watch it again and will not recommend it to anyone, not even people who would see it without their kids!I am very sorry we went to it.

Dorey said...

I haven't seen it but now I want to. haha Maybe we'll redbox it and watch it when the kids are asleep. =)

Dory said...

I haven't seen it but some of my friends liked it. That should tell you something.

Unknown said...

Just the previews made me a little nervous, but then again I am not a scary movie watcher whatsoever! It would probably give me nightmares, too!

Mike and Jayna Miller said...

Its terrifying beautiful and awesome. I loved it. We couldn't watch it at work though because of the dissociative properties of this film. How cool is that?

Tatum said...

Mylanta. I haven't seen it. and i was excited to watch it but, maybe not. Thanks for the tip!

Nikki Jenson said...

Hated it! Just watched it yesterday and was HORRIFIED by the freakish- 'cartoonish' PORN of the naked woman. What the freak! My husband and I looked at each other horrified that they would include a scene like that in a movie promoted for children. Absolutely dissapointed! Could have been a twist on the "Alice in Wonderland" story. But the breast-implant-naked-porn-woman ruined it for me! Get my point?!