I received an email the other day from the senior class president of Emery High with the date of our ten year class reunion. Just a few days before I was talking with a couple of my fellow Spartans about the impending reunion, but the email I received made it official. Ten years? Really? Just when the traumatization of high school begins to wear off we have to rehash it all over again? Really? I'm not going to lie.....I'm a little terrified.
Don't get me wrong, I had a great time in high school. I participated in lots of different activities, (which is a huge plus of going to a small high school) made some great friends, I even got to hang out with my dad at school. So, what's my hang up?
Well, here's my theory. I think that while I was in high school I was oblivious to the fact that a lot of the social situations were really traumatizing. Maybe because I was more resilient, less afraid, or maybe just because when you are in the middle of something you can't really see it for what it is? Looking back I can say to myself, "I can't believe I did THAT!" and "What was I thinking when I let THEM treat me like THAT." and "Why did I think THAT was a good idea?" and this could go on and on. Hindsight is a strange thing. It gives you the opportunity to examine situations that you were embroiled in and analyze them as a bystander. Thus giving you the opportunity to remember things better or worse than they really were.
So, I think I will save the date for Saturday August 2nd to attend my 10 year high school reunion (10 years? Really?). I will also pencil in a date with my therapist for Monday August 4th.
*Also, my older and much much wiser blog readers what did you think of your 10 year reunion?
19 comments:
Oh dear, it is that time again isn't it. I didn't want to attend mine last year but was forced by Nicole & Michelle. Along with Andrea (who is getting married in May) we were the few left who have never been married. We're all fine with it but it's nice to show up to something like that with someone. It wasn't too horrible but it was kind of long and honestly, I keep in touch enough with those I really want to so I didn't care if I saw anyone else or not. I don't hate anyone from HS and I had a lot of fun, but like you I'm it's in the past. - Sorry this turned out so long!
I'm GLAD it's in the past.
I'm thinkin the same thing. Haven't quite decided if I will be attending or not yet. We will just have to see! Holy Moly, it's already been 10 years! Did we have a 5 year reunion?
Cammie I think you should be proud of yourself for being graduated for 10 ten years and still looking so young and beautiful! Plus think of all the cool things you've done in ten years. The highlight I am sure was having me live with you for 2 summers of your life! Who knows maybe Dad will be there for moral support once again!
Are you really going? I'm proud that Weston's actually on the ball about this. 10 years doesn't seem like a long time, but being home from the mission 5 years...now that makes me feel old:)
Are you really going? I'm proud that Weston's actually on the ball about this. 10 years doesn't seem like a long time, but being home from the mission 5 years...now that makes me feel old:)
I didn't go...I didn't want to. Highschool was fine while I was there but why torture myself and pretend to be interested in everyone lives when I really don't care. I have friends from highschool that I see and get together with, but the rest I don't really care about. Wow, I sound sinister! My best years have been AFTER graduation...Jeremy, Tre, Belle...and I will celebrate them any day of the week. Highschool? No thanks!
Hey, who you calling "older"??? LOL! Umm, I went to mine (as you know) and it was fun, overrated but fun. I think because I was in a good place in my life I felt fine being there. There were definitely those who were still in the full on high school mose and those are the pathetic people I felt sorry for. I say go for it. If you don't go you will always be thinking "what if". Just my 2 cents.
That should say mode NOT mose, lol.
i had fun at mine! i mean, it was a little weird, for sure, but definitely worth going to! you'll have fun!
Wow! 10 years! Mine was a couple of years ago. I didn't go because I just couldn't justify flying to Texas just for a couple of days. Plus it was in the middle of October. Anyways, my best friend from high school went so I was still able to get the low down on everyone. It's interesting what people make of their lives. I'm sure it's a little different in Texas than Utah. The people that were so eager to get out of that town are the ones who are still sticking around doing the same partying wasting away their lives. But, I think it would be fun to go. Just to see... LOL!
Hated it! But I would have wondered if I didn't go. (I also took my OLDER, WISER sister's advice.) My class was sort of lame and I felt like it was 1993 again. Everyone was flocking to the loser (I mean popular guy) who just got arrested for some major embezzling blah blah blah. The football crew was planning a "hotel" party upstairs and people were hiding wedding rings and rating hotness factors. Seriously, gag! I talked to the people I went with and the few seminary kids that showed up. I caught up with a couple of worthwhile friends that I had lost touch with. I was glad I went and got it out of my system, but I will for sure be bagging any future reunions!
I think I will be in Utah on August 1 for a wedding so I am planning to extend my trip to include the reunion. I also have a little bit of apprehension about it and I haven't been able to figure out why. A lot changes in 10 years though, so I think that some of my discomfort is the thought of being thrust back to high school with all of its attendant drama. I am really curious to find out what happened to some people though (Nicole madsen? Sephorah?). I also think it will be interesting to see what career paths people have chosen, along with what kind of offspring they produce. If I can't make it, you will fill me in, right?
Mine didn't do one and I kind of wish they did - -you'll have to file a blog report on how it all goes!
Oh you read my mind. While I want to go I kinda don't either. I do wonder what happened to people ( which is why people should be required to have a blog!!) I am with Lyns on the career paths on offspring. I do want to go but I don't know if I will be going( living in Arizona we don't leave much) It makes me wonder if I do go if the same petty stuff will be going on that was there before. I seriously think people NEVER forget anything about someone and never let them grow up!! ( thanks for having the required blog!!)
lucky for you it's only 10. :) I Hope you have a great time at your reunion. I skipped my 10 year but maybe I'll make it to the 15 -- which is fast approaching.
I feel a bit old telling you that I'm going to my 20 year reunion this summer! And I really can't wait!! (maybe that's why I'm planning it) Anyway, I think you should go to yours. It really is fun to see people again. There can be awkward times, but for the most part its really fun to see how people are doing.
I didn't go to mine last year, my cousin was visiting from Missouri and I would much rather spend time with her. I'm more interested in what has been going on in my college friends' lives. But that would be way to difficult to have a reunion. From what I hear, I'll I would have to do to reconnect with high school classmates is head to the local bar--pathetic.
Hey at least you have one to go to. I went to Bingham for 2 years and then Alta my senior year so I graduated from a school where I knew about 4 people (I took work release so I only had one class per semester). I don't get invited to Binghams because I didnt graduate with them -even though I grew up with all those people! Also, I saw a Bingham SBO at Costco last week. He was still cute and said Hi and had 2 little girls and a very prego wife. I never knew him very well, but it was fun to see a glimpse of his life now. You should go for sure!!!
Post a Comment