Thursday, October 29, 2009

Guilt

I think that guilt is a special emotion reserved mainly for mothers. Before I had kids I felt like I lived a fairly guilt free life. Sure, I got in a little trouble here and there...I felt remorse for things I've done. But, I can't say that I experienced a lot of full blown guilt.
Enter, kids... There is no end to the guilt you can feel as a mother. For example, when I was working I always felt guilty on slow days when I had to scrounge up things to do, knowing that my house was a mess and I'd left my kids. Sometimes when I was at home I would feel guilty about all things I had to do at work...as I dozed off for an afternoon nap.
I've had this conversation with my mother friends before, and most seem to agree. Being responsible for tiny little lives is a huge responsibility...and because we all make mistakes, guilt is a very familiar feeling!
So, on Monday I had a guilty moment. I got Cali to the school bus, dropped Carter off at preschool, worked out, and then.....I went to the spa! I sat on my butt for a good hour while a poor unsuspecting ethstitician had to man handle the grossest pregnant feet you've ever seen. It was a pretty wonderful experience, but I did feel my old friend guilt as I sat there thinking of all the things I could and should be doing!
I wish I had a before picture of these feet...You're lucky I don't!

Oh yes, one more. With all the running around we've done and still have to to do this week, my kids are missing their school Halloween parties, the Rec Center party, the ward trunker treat, and will be going trick or treating with Bethany in SLC on Saturday. I feel horrible that their plans have had to change and that they've had to miss so many things they were looking forward to.
In an attempt to make things better for them, I bought them each a cute Halloween shirt from Old Navy. They are now 40% off, so I won't feel bad if they only get to wear them for a few days this year. However, I think I bought Carter a girl shirt. He was so excited to have a pumpkin shirt, that he won't take it off. So he's running around today looking a little girly.
Oh the guilt!

6 comments:

Bethany Gilson said...

Cammie I never feel guilty! ha ha, you deserved it! Cart looks Fabulous (gay guy voice!) JK it is a cute shirt. Piggy's is the same shirt but white!

Amanda said...

Yep, I think it might be a girl shirt too....I think he totally pulls it off though! Good luck with labor....can't wait to see a picture of the new little(ish) guy!

Amanda said...

Yep, I think it might be a girl shirt too....I think he totally pulls it off though! Good luck with labor....can't wait to see a picture of the new little(ish) guy!

Jake and Roz said...

don't feel guilty - you're giving your kids a little brother! I think they'll get over missing a little bit of one Halloween.

Abes and Stace said...

I know all about motherhood guilt. I think it must get worse the more kids you have. So why do we keep popping them out? I'm a guilty, anxiety filled mother on a daily basis so don't feel bad. :)
And yes that does seem to be a girl shirt. That is a great picture!! Good luck tomorrow!! I can't wait to hear all about it. What an exciting day.

Tami said...

Mother Guilt...ONly us mothers understand and fathers don't seem to ever have nearly the same amount of guilt! AMEN to all you said.
Yep, Carter has a giry shirt. Thanks for the laugh!